Dear members of our community,
The New Rochelle YMCA is committed to maintaining a healthy environment for everyone. We are closely monitoring information about the recent COVID-19 (Coronavirus) case in New Rochelle and general information. Health officials advise the best way to prevent Coronavirus is to practice the same good hygiene steps used to prevent cold and flu. Most of the early reported cases in China had contact with seafood and live animal markets, suggesting an animal source of the outbreak. However, most cases are now likely to be spread from person to person by droplets when coughing. Since this virus is very new, health authorities continue to carefully watch how this virus spreads.
As we announced, we are closing our facility early this Sunday to do a deep cleaning. Our staff is wiping down surfaces in common areas. However, here are some simple steps to stop the spread of this and other respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle through proper hydration, diet, rest and exercise
Links and Resources
New York State Department of Health
Centers for Disease Control
World Health Organization (WHO)
Together we can keep our community safe.
Jennifer Ryan Safsel